The connection between Pine Oil and good health share a timeless association that has stood since the dawn of humanity.
Due to its multifaceted health benefits Pine Oil holds a well-deserved spot at the top as one of the most reputable, all-rounder essential oils.
Mattresses were stuffed with oil-rich pine needles to deter lice, fleas and other creepy crawlies.
Fresh pine needles were chewed by hunters as a convenient source of Vitamin C during long excursions. Being an evergreen tree, the Pine was seen as a symbol of timelessness and immortality and treated with great respect.
Where Does Pine Oil Come From?
The pine tree (Pinus sylvestris) from which essential oils are primarily extracted, are native to several different geographical regions, mainly Europe and Asia, and is also found in countries such as Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Eastern Siberia, stretching to areas as remote as the Arctic Circle, in fact, The Pine is the only tree able to grow and survive in such a severe and desolate area. Pine oil is extracted from the needles and cones by means of steam distillation.
- Antiseptic properties assist in fighting germs and infection.
- As an antibacterial and anti-viral oil it helps to relieve discomfort caused by nasal congestion, bronchitis, colds, flu, sinusitis, urinary tract infection and fever.
- Pine oil can aid in the treatment of a variety of skin conditions like boils, athletes foot, and dry scalp.
- With powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, Pine Oil is a fitting remedy for people suffering from conditions associated with joint pain such as arthritis and rheumatism.
- Added to warm bath water, Pine Oil stimulates circulation.
Awesome Tip: For a natural treatment of head lice, blend 10 drops of pine essential oil with olive oil and apply generously. Keep it in overnight and wash away thoroughly in the morning.
- For a natural soothing cough remedy, try blending together 1 drop of Pine essential Oil, 1 drop of Peppermint Essential Oil, 2 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil, 1 drop of Marjoram Essential Oil and 1 drop of Lemon Essential oil with 15 milliliters of a carrier oil like Almond Oil.
- Rub it liberally into your chest and back of your neck. Alternatively, combine the essential oils together excluding the carrier oil; apply 2-3 drops to a tissue and inhale.
- If you are suffering from a sinus headache or congestion, mix 1 drop of Pine Essential Oil, 1 drop of Rosemary Essential Oil and 2 drops of Eucalyptus Oil, apply it to a tissue and inhale the vapours frequently to relieve the symptoms.
- To aid in the relief of flu and bronchitis symptoms, in a dark bottle combine 12 drops of Pine Essential Oil, 30 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil, 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil, 6 drops of Marjoram Essential Oil and 3 drops Thyme Essential oil.
Add 6 drops of the mixture to a large bowl of hot water. Place a towel over your head and inhale the steam deeply through your nose for 5 – 10 minutes. Keep the remainder in a tightly sealed bottle out of sunlight.
With our main goal being to promote and encourage eco-friendly solutions, pine oil offers multipurpose applications for safe and natural household use. Pine Oil’s antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties are effective against general household germs, odour-causing bacteria, mould and mildew.
- For a sanitizing carpet freshener, add between 15-20 drops of Pine Essential Oil and 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil to 1 ½ cups of baking soda.
Ensure the oil and baking soda is well combined and then store in a sealed container overnight. Sprinkle the freshener over your carpet and allow absorption for 15 minutes. Vacuum as per usual.
- For an effective floor cleaner without the harmful chemical found in commercial products, blend 15-20 drops of Pine Oil and 15-20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil with ½ a cup in vinegar in a bucket of water.
- To safely discourage flea’s, add 4 drops of Pine oil to 1 cup of warm water and mix well. Brush the solution through your dog’s coat. Soak their brush and toys with it overnight.
Caution: Pine Essential Oil may irritate sensitive skin. It has also been known to cause breathing problems in large doses. Further, Pine Essential Oil should not be given to people who are suffering from kidney dysfunctions. Because essential oils are concentrated, highly potent substances don’t use undiluted on the skin.
Disclaimer: We are not medically trained in any way; if you suffer from a medical condition, please consult your doctor or homeopath.
Post compiled by Kirsten Ferreira