I confess. I’m a pizza snob. But for good reason. I’ve discovered that the best way to get the pizza I want is to make it myself – homemade, nutritious and delicious.
The machines of marketing and industry have convoluted the idea of pizza. The pizzas available at restaurants and take way chains such as triple decker pizzas, pizzas with sausage in the crust, pizzas with meat marinade is just not my thing. But thankfully you don’t have to succumb to this pizza blasphemy that defiles the very tradition of homemade Italian pizzas.
Lets get started shall we?
Pizza Dough Recipe
What you need:
- 2 ¾ cups of strong brown flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tblsp oil
- 2 tblsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
Kneading dough is pretty time consuming and frankly is a lot of effort. We use a little help from the “Ma-baker” bread machine to make the dough. Put all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and use setting 8. This is enough dough for 2 large pizzas.
Pizza Tomato Base Recipe
Put the following in a blender and mix until smooth.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove
- pinch of dried oregano
- 3 tblsp organic tomato paste
- Hand full of black olives (pitted and halved)
- 10 slices sundried tomatoes
- Hand full of rocket leaves
- 50g Grated organic mozzerella
Now let’s make that Pizza
Preheat oven at 280 degrees.
Once the dough is ready, roll it out to the desired size and thickness. I like it nice and thin. Put the rolled out dough in a baking tray that has been prepared with butter.
Spread the prepared tomato mixture on the base.
Sprinkle the pitted olives and sundried tomato’s evenly over the base and cover with grated cheese.
Pop into hot oven and leave on the bottom shelf for about 10min. Checking regularly to see if the pizza base does not burn.
Once you notice that the base is not floppy anymore, you can move the pizza to a higher shelf for about 5 min.
e pizza deliziosa!!!
Last Minute Info:
Commercially available pizzas tend not to be as nutritious as it should be. Homemade pizzas can be double delicious and way more healthy. Large restaurant chains and many smaller restaurants mostly buy the cheapest dairy products and they don’t particularly care whether the cheese is RHBST hormone free or if the farm it came from is at least cruelty free and ethical. Fortunately you can make our own pizzas at home, the way you want it.
When you make your own pizzas you open yourself up to a host of benefits:
- You can use organic & natural ingredients instead of pesticide laced ingredients
- You can use ethically produced RHBST hormone free cheese
- You can use organic stone-ground flour which is much better for you than conventional white bread flour
- You don’t have to put up with greasy unhealthy pizzas
- Homemade means you can include your own healthy organic ingredients for your well-being and peace of mind
- It’s a great way to entertain and impress friends and family